While being cursed with diarrhea can be inconvenient, uncomfortable and occasionally embarrassing; there are steps you can take when you’re feeling like you need to run to the bathroom at any given moment. It’s common to have symptoms of loose stool every now and again, everybody will experience this at some time. However, if you’re having this situation regularly you should definitely seek professional health advice.
Our diet heavily influences our toilet habits. It’s important to take note of the food that you’re consuming to ensure that you’re getting all the right nutrients your body needs. Often changes in schedule are indicators of dietary problems, sickness or a sign that we’ve eaten something that’s not agreeing with us.
Here are 5 steps you can take when you’re experiences diarrhea issues:
- Eat plain and simple foods, especially when you first start feeling symptoms. Sticking with substance that you know will help soothe your belly and give you energy will help you feel better faster. It has also been suggested that consuming probiotic yoghurt can help lessen the duration of symptoms. Foods like potatoes, bananas and bread can help reduce the uncomfortable situation and get you feeling better faster.
- Make sure that you keep your fluid intake high when experiencing symptoms. Having diarrhea can mean that a person loses water faster than usual. This can lead to dehydration and other complications that can have very serious consequences. Ensuring that you continue drinking water and other liquids will keep your body strong and help you recover quicker from these symptoms.
- Don’t consume fatty foods or excessive amounts of dairy. These types of foods can be hard for the body to process and cause further complications or make diarrhea even worse. Sometimes diarrhea can be caused by allergies to food products such as dairy, so it’s important to get tested to check whether you’re dairy intolerant. However, even if you’re not it’s better to reduce the intake of these foods while having symptoms as they’re commonly associated with being high in sugar.
- Avoid alcohol while having diarrhea symptoms. Drinking alcohol can cause your body to lose water and further complications if you become dehydrated. This can aggravate symptoms and make thing worse in the long run. It’s best to take things easy while experiencing diarrhea and your body will generally heal on it’s own.
- There’s a wide range of medication available that can help reduce the effects of diarrhea. Usually available without prescription, these can be a fantastic solution to the uncomfortable symptoms you may be having. However, these are only effective when used while experiencing mild diarrhea, if you’re having severe problems then it’s better to consult a doctor for advice.
These tips will help you get through the experience until the symptoms pass. It’s important to continually self-assess your condition and if you find yourself getting worse, consult a medical professional immediately. Dehydration is the biggest risk associated with having diarrhea but if you’re experiencing black or bloody stools, pain or any other strange symptoms alongside your diarrhea then it’s better to visit the doctor immediately.