Different kinds of traffic accidents happen daily in St. Petersburg. To evade these crashes, everyone should learn the common causes of these accidents.
Here are the top five common reasons of why accidents happen, and some tips on how to avoid them.
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Driving while under the influence is a primary source of highway fatality in St. Pete. Almost half of the people die in a car crash because of an intoxicated irresponsible driver.
Vehicle crashes and fatalities due to alcohol intake, drugs consumption, or other brain-altering chemicals before or while driving, causes blurry vision, poor decision-making, and slow reaction time.
Avoid these substances before or while driving:
- Illegal or brain-altering substances
- Medications that cause drowsiness
- Side-impact crashes
T-bone accidents or Side-impact collisions, happen when one driver fails to notice the red light or stop sign hitting another car in the process. These kinds of accidents are critical even when the side of the car is credible of absorbing impact. Sometimes it may not just hold much and cause physical injuries.
Here are ways to avoid the total damage of side-impact collisions:
- Follow speed limits
- Buy a car with side airbags
- Stop at red lights and stop signs
- Be aware of other drivers
- Look both ways before crossing an intersection
- Over speeding
Speed is sometimes a factor in some car accidents, especially among teen drivers. In fact, according to stpeteinjurylawfirm.blogspot.com, male teen drivers are more likely to get involved in an accident due to speeding than female teen and adult drivers.
Here are ways to prevent speed-related crashes:
- Educate young drivers about the dangers of over speeding
- Follow speed limits
- Slow down when the weather is poor, or the visibility is low
- Distracted driving
Drivers make mistakes, and these mistakes can cause accidents. Accidents may happen due to distracted driving. Cell phone use is the top reason for distracted driving. Multi-tasking is a myth for the brain. Rather, it handles one activity at a time. Driving while using phones or eating might only lead to a fatal crash.
Here are the following activities and distractions that should be avoided while driving:
- Using a cell phone
- Arguing or fighting with someone
- Entering in driving directions in a GPS device or mobile phone app
- Parked cars
Sometimes, the car can get hit even when parked. Parking lot accidents can be avoided by paying attention to where the car should be parked. If the driver has a difficult time pressing in, the drivers around will also have a hard time moving out.
Here’s how to prevent parking lot scrapes:
- Stay aware of the surroundings
- Do not park too closely to other vehicles
- Pay attention to the size of the car, and don’t squeeze into small spaces
- Look behind when reversing
A car accident is almost a typical scenario in St. Petersburg. It may also happen on any road. However, people can avoid it if drivers are well disciplined in driving.